11/06/2014

The Edit | 4 Blogs For Gluten-Free & Coeliac Lifestyles


My father was recently diagnosed (after a very long process and misdiagnosis) with coeliac disease and although I’m not coeliac, I also tend to feel much better by avoiding gluten where possible.

For those of you who don’t know, coeliac disease is caused by a reaction of the immune system to gluten, causing a wide range of symptoms from bloating through to weight loss, osteoporosis and skin rashes. Dermatitis herpetiformis can also occur, which is the skin manifestation of coeliac disease. Once diagnosed, you treat it by following a completely gluten-free diet.

I’ve made a huge effort to cook without the grain, and I’ve discovered some amazing alternative foods devoid of the added fat that free-from foods sometimes use to bind the ingredients together.

It’s so easy these days to prepare dishes that are free-from gluten and there are really no excuses, in my opinion, for not providing an alternative gluten-free option in all eateries. However, many places still don’t offer this and equally don’t know what's in their dishes if you ask them.

I LOVE eating out, but I find that it’s just as easy to prepare delicious alternatives to all your meals yourself. In addition to some of my own recipes, I often turn to the many food bloggers out there who prefer the gluten-free lifestyle and whom I find are excellent and inspirational starting points for anyone who is starting the gluten-free lifestyle, or who has a gluten-intolerant family member. Here is my edit of my top 4.

Featuring great photography and delicious baking, Karina’s blog is a great starting point for any gluten-free novice. My favourite (watch the waistline) recipe is Karina’s Wildly Rich Chocolate Cake.

This is a blog for “experimental cooks”. With a fantastic name and equally great content, Sarah’s blog is well worth a read, especially for those based in Bristol. My favourite recipe is Gluten-Free Strawberry Sangria Ice Lollies.

This US-based blog provides a good combination of facts, chat and gluten-free meals. Check out this new (to me) Banana Flour.

What’s for dinner this week? This blog shares simple stand-by dishes and hosts a menu swap initiative for busy families. Check out the simple, yet delicious Thai Chicken Wraps.

To find out more about this really quite debilitating disease, the symptoms, diagnosis and the treatment and support available, check out www.csaceliacs.org (US) and www.coeliac.org.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- See more at: http://www.exeideas.com/2013/08/increase-image-thumbnail-size-from-72px.html#sthash.dQsASIu1.dpuf